Water from your street drains directly to our river – UNTREATED.
Eight actions you can take to help keep our river clean:
· Wash your car at a carwash to prevent soap from entering storm drains.
· Scoop your dog’s poop and put it in the garbage.
· Take hazardous household chemicals to designated drop-off locations.
· Fertilize lawns and gardens naturally with compost, grass cuttings and topsoil.
· Keep insects away with natural predators such as birds (houses), ladybugs (leaf litter), spiders (leave webs) and bats (boxes).
· Pull weeds by hand or host a weed pulling party.
· Sweep dirt and sediment onto the lawn not the street.
· Fix car leaks so fluids don’t get washed down the storm drains.
Yellow Fish RoadTM
Help build awareness by painting storm drains in your neighbourhood with a yellow fish and the words “rainwater only” This helps remind your friends and neighbours that what goes down our storm drains affects our river. Contact the Girl Guides to borrow a painting kit and get involved.